Sunday, June 27, 2010

Featured: Toy Story 3

Post credits to kluxorious


I have waited 11 years for this to come out. Finally the wait is over and oh boy it was worth it. Despite being slightly unwell, I went to see the movie because that's the kind of person I am when it comes to something I absolutely love.

I have always been a fan of Toy Story. The first one has been my favorite for a long time until Finding Nemo debuted. Wall-E came close to steal the spot but now I am more than happy to announce that with Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo is no longer in the number 1 spot on my favorite movie list (under animation category). You have absolutely no idea how does that makes me feels inside *grins happily*

I should have seen this coming. In a summer full of half-assed sequals (Ironman 2, Shrek 4), uninspired drivels (The A-Team, Killers, etc) and downright shit (MacGruber, Marmaduke, wtf?), leave it to Disney/Pixar to remind us exactly why I go to the movies in the first place.

Stories like Finding Nemo and Toy Story set apart the work between Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks. Few weeks ago, I paid RM18 to watch Shrek 4 in 3D. It was a waste of my fucking money. When the show was over, I felt like I wanted my money back. I didn't pay that much money to see crap. Sure it has few funny moments but it was far in between. Shrek 2 was good (though nothing like Wall-E) and they should have stopped there.

Dreamworks (or other animation production studios) lack a lot of things compared to Pixar's animation. The stories of Pixar are far more enriching, both to one's soul and mind. You'll leave the cinema fulfilled. In term of animation itself, Pixar is far beyond its competitor. Just look at Ratatouille, Wall-E, A Bug's Life and Up as well as Toy Story 1 and 2 to understand what I'm talking about.

In Toy Story 3, Pixar has proven once again how to do it right. They perfectly mix art and storytelling into a ridiculously entertaining, visually stunning masterpiece. From the outrageously funny, action-packed open to the deeply moving, awe-inspiring and tear-inducing conclusion, Toy Story 3 shows that Pixar will always go to infinity and beyond. Yes, you read it right. I cried. I'm sure you will too. The movie relies on the themes of friendship, just as the first two did, but this time it makes use of the human emotion built up in fear of separation, all of which was done so masterfully, you can't help but be touched by it.

An emotional rollercoaster filled with tears and laughter, Toy Story 3 is one of the best films in years. I am still mesmerized by the storytelling on display and the beauty of genius filmmaking. Toy Story 3 is an absolute triumph. It caps off one of the best trilogies of all time, it's the best movie of the summer and, as of right now, it's the best picture of the year. Thank you to everyone involved at Pixar for putting in their all to make sure Woody, Buzz, and the rest of the gang got the best possible send off and for reminding all those disillusioned by these troubled times about the magic of the cinema.

I'm going to miss Andy's toys just as much as I will miss Andy himself.


I dare you to NOT agree with me after you've seen this movie.

This film easily gets 5 out of 5 with triple stars to accompany it :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails